Wednesday, January 9, 2013

#11 Reason Why I Like Canada

Babies have the right to their own library cards! If adults have the right to bear arms in the US, I think the same should go for infants & library access. Actually, now that I'm putting more thought into this, it should be mandatory. (Not the adults-guns thing...not working out to be such a good idea)

I remember taking my niece Izzy to their local library in Long Island, NY. She must've been 2 years old when I was scoffed @ by the librarian for asking if Isabelle could sign up for her card. That librarian looked at me as if I had 3 heads. I probably knew back then that my life wouldn't be permanent in Long Island. (Just to be clear, this is NOT indicative of the rest of NY state)

Anyway, it was refreshing to go to the downtown Edmonton public library & find signs encouraging toddlers to sign up for membership. What better way to open their worlds to unlimited knowledge, ideas, and imagination? :-)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Long Island Libraries are just not the same as other ones - The one in Nyack, NY is unbeleivable. It really has one focus to get people to read ---- no matter what age they are. I'm so grateful for them.