Saturday, November 3, 2007

Feeling Disconnected While Connecting to the the World



I spent 3 hours straight this morning at home looking through various blogs,tagging websites on delicious, searching the GLEF website, reviewing notes on the current QuickTopic, and this is what kept running through my mind: What a lonely feeling it is to spend this much time online! I am 'connecting' to the world but I'm actually disconnected from what's going on around me. My family had breakfast together (something we rarely do), yet I was alone staring onto the laptop screen.

Here's my question: How do I maximize my time online so I don't miss out on what's going on around my world?

4 comments:

Christine Southard said...

I totally agree. You need to know when to disconnect. I'm trying to find a delicate balance, but it is a challenge. Especially when TEAM is online, my students are online & I have to approve their work, and I'm also the webmaster for my school. Aargh. I'm going to start to glow w/ all the time I spend in front of the computer.

Adam Dugger said...

It's funny Amy.. I was wondering the same thing.. then again this laptop has almost become an extension of my anatomy lately.. bloggin, emailing, typing.. yadda yadda yadda... not to mention using the internet for "fun" and hobbies.

Like Christine said, there must be a delicate balance somewhere... let me know if you find it.. I like to think that I'm hot on its trail.

Karen Kliegman said...

The solution for me that has evolved over the past few years is to get up really early and get my work done before everyone else gets up. I know that wouldn't work for everyone but it does work for me. I love the early morning (like now), when my family is asleep, the house is so quiet and I can sit at my laptop with a cup of coffee and a clear mind.

Karen Kliegman said...

BTW, it is 6:11 am not 3:11 am as it says next to my previous comment! I get up early, but not THAT early! Didn't want you to think I am completely crazy! :)